Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Latest Passion

Red Oak Friction Call


I've spent most of my years turning making nice, but largely useless pieces. Although I do consider my turnings art, I've redirected my attention to making things that serve a purpose other than collecting dust. In my search for useful items to turn I stumbled across a couple of forums devoted to the art of game call making and that has opened the door for me to combine my love of woodturning with my love of the outdoors.

 From a woodturners perspective a basic turkey friction call isn't necessarily a difficult thing to make, but like any other instrument, making one that sounds good takes a great deal of time and research to develop, and there is always room to tweak and improve upon designs and sound quality. Early on in my research, I was lucky enough to make a friend in the world of call makers and the nudges in the right direction he provided to me was invaluable in developing a basic design with all of the elements necessary to making a great sounding call.

While I'm not done experimenting and trying to figure out where I can improve my process and consistency in sound quality, I have managed to make some sweet sounding calls, and from here on out I expect that they will keep getting better. I'm also working out some variations in my design that will allow me to tailor make calls with specific characteristics to match the style and desires of individual hunters.

Lastly, and most importantly, I'd like to give a proper thanks to Scott of Final Strut Custom Game Calls for the help he has given me along the way. Scott definitely saved me a heap of time and material figuring this stuff out.

1 comment:

  1. You are very welcome Donnie. I am just glad I could help a little.

    I am going to enjoy following your blog and seeing your new calls

    Scott

    ReplyDelete