Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cats or Rats... What's Your Pleasure?

I know this doesn't have anything to do with woodturning, but earlier this evening after I got home from work, I was sitting on the back deck soaking up a little semi fresh air when I saw a cat emerge from the wood line with either a mouse or a mole in it's mouth... for the purposes of this writing, we'll call it a rat. So this event got me thinking... if and when the time comes that we'll have to revert to foraging for our proteins wherever and however we can find them, do we start with the rats or the cats?


In terms of population and proliferation, both species have done well for themselves, especially in our urban settings, and from my perspective, both species are on level ground as far as my lack of desire to put either of them on my dinner plate is concerned. I would figure cat meat would be a little stringier than the rat, however, the rat would probably be more gamey.

My initial thoughts on the subject led me to think that the cat would be my first choice for post economy table fare, but honestly, that was more of a knee jerk reaction to the obvious size differences. I'm also getting a little older so coaxing a cat to get close enough to grab a hold of it would be far less challenging that trying to persuade a rodent to get within striking distance.

I know some of my fellow Second Amendment wonks are wondering why there is even a need for such a hands on approach, and my answer is that I'd rather save my bullets for looters and Zed Runners. It's also plausible that in a post economic society, bullets will be worth more than gold, so to waste bullets would be the present day equivalent of using gold bars for trotline weights.

Your thoughts, suggestion, and recipes are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment